Tuesday, March 13, 2012

They Take My Breath Away

Tonight, just after sunset, I step outside of my house and am greeted by dazzling Venus and brilliant Jupiter low in the western sky. It is twilight. The street is silent and I am not distracted by cars or kids. Even the birds must be hushed with awe. I sip my chickweed tea and inhale the magnificence of these two planets so close together, brighter than diamonds.

I turn around and face the opposite direction. There is Mars, glowing like a bright, orange star in the east. Mars is so close to earth I can actually see the color of it's surface. One by one other stars come out to play. The sky is deep purple. The constellations begin to peek through and blink at me. Orion burns through the thickening darkness and shows me his broad shoulders and unfaltering stance, and how he  wears his belt with modest consistency. Three stars in a row display a touch of decorum in my winter's sky.

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world." (Psalm 19: 1-4)

Yes, the heavens declare the glory of God. They speak to me in the silence and I cannot find words to answer them. My heart answers with a sudden gasp for oxygen. I see God's handiwork in Jupiter and Venus and they take my breath away. Tonight that is worship in real life.

2 comments:

  1. I like the commentary. Perhaps the moments of deepest worship do not involve music or singing, but just reverential awe for the Creator who loves us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, the sight of the heavens calls for at least one chorus of, "How Great Thou Art", or, "Because He Lives".

      Delete